Saturday, February 27, 2016

Harry Potter and his hard choices


Let me start off by saying that I really enjoy the Harry Potter series. I grew up with the books, and as such I technically grew up at the same time as Harry and the rest. One thing that always stood out to me about the stories is that he was faced with so much hardship for kid. I knew kids grew up in hard places sometimes but this was obviously a new extreme. It was the first time I experienced any sort of abusive parenting in media. I mean he was living underneath the stairs. Along with this spirit of darkness and hardship comes hard choices. There's so many hard examples to choose from. For example in the first book Harry faces extreme decisions. When he discovers the mirror that shows you what you most desire. For him it is his murdered parents. Dark. So now he sits for hours trying to be with a family that he never had the chance to know. He is told that it is fake and that he needs to come back to reality. I cannot even imagine how hard is must be for a child who finally has a way of seeing his murdered parents to walk away from that. Most grown adults wouldn't have the power to do that. I mean to finally find your family after so long, especially seeing as he does not have one currently, and the only one he ever had known was abusive, and then to walk away from that is impossibly hard. Also at the end of the story Harry is put in a situation of life or death when Voldemort uses him to find the sorcerer’s stone.  He fights back and refuses, struggling until he passes out. Think about it. Here’s a kid faced with the worst murderer of all time, the one responsible for killing his parents, and he decides to stare him down and tell him no. He chooses to hold the stone. He could’ve been killed for that, and I would argue that many would’ve given the stone and tried to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment