Friday, April 22, 2016

Idiocracy

I couldn't help it, for this week I had to write about Idiocracy. It is the most perfect movie of all time. I do not think there is a more perfect time in our history for us to re-watch this movie either. We are literally entering a time in our country where we might start to see this horror movie of a future become reality. Trump is running for president, we continuously destroy our habitats, our streets are paved with fast food, and I would not be surprised if the liquid we use to water our crops is replaced with some coca-cola product. This movie shows exactly how our culture is at its worse with a expert combination of bizarre yet realistic scenarios and funny dialogue. Welcome to Costco, I love you. I mean there is a literal scene where it is explained that people can get law degrees at Costco. How far off is that from where we are? People can get law degrees over the internet, hell even in lesser programs. That's not a complete exaggeration. I mean who knows if big companies will start to open schools in the future, and if they have the money who can stop them? But that's the best part because its in the future you can have Costco law degrees, and idea that mirrors our own fidelity of education but is ridiculous enough to directly capture our attention. I think that this is the best way to say this. Setting a story like this in the future allows for a direct examination of our own culture in a way that is just ridiculous enough to catch our attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment