Friday, April 22, 2016

Snow Crash

The picture of reality painted in the Snow Crash is oddly enough kind of becoming our own reality. I mean honestly on a side note I can only imagine that the writer is either oddly pleased or truly horrified at the validity of his ridiculous fantasy. I mean how is it that a world where characters such as Hiro Protagonist might actually hold some weight? Anyways in the world created in Snow Crash huge companies rule the land and an advanced internet creates a sort of second world for people to live in. People live in sort of city states that are actually suburban gated communities and the government that connected us all has largely stepped down. Money has taken a back seat to a type of bitcoin, and it is truly solidified that life is moving online. Again reading this I can only think that this is a direct spoof on where our own world is headed. I mean I can imagine that if Trump gets elected this country could split with his loyal domain being the United Conglomerate of Trump. And in the end that's what makes this story horrifying to me. This fantasy world created as a critique of our own is in fact slowly but surely becoming our own. I think this really goes for most of the stories in this genre. The dark metal and dirty walkways of the corporate countries are slowly becoming our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment